Thursday 23 July 2015

Flocking Free - Scenery Boards

First Attempt at basic scenery board

I found a simple sawdust and paint idea for free/cheap flocking and wanted to give it a go using some other methods I had seen for flag/cobble stones.




My Attempt

It was a bit of a hurried job in between other bits and pieces but was fairly simple and quick.

Boards: I cut some 30x30 cm boards (approx 1 foot square) from 6mm MDF. Thankfully I have a decent mitre saw which made this easy. I was then able to use the saw dust from created for the flocking.

Flocking: I used the method in the above video with left over poster paints. I made several different batches with varying mixes of blue, yellow and red, this meant that I could mix them together after drying to give a more varied grassy tones. You can quickly make a lot for no money which means you can easily cover large boards fast and cheap. I have used felt boards but I like the texture this gives.



Flagstones: For the flagstones I had some left over plaster filler which I spread thinly over. I used a cocktail stick to scratch the shapes which I thought look fairly effective (obviously if yo have the skill lots of detail could be put in). I found I had to work quickly as it was setting fast so I will try a more wet paste to start with next time.

I didn't do the whole board as I wanted to be able to link the boards with grass surround. It was a trial and could be a simple village square or well.

Lastly to spread the flocking on I used a mix of poster paint and PVA glue (as they are cheap). After leaving overnight I got a nice hard stick and not shedding green saw dust everywhere (which I was worried about).

Overall: I was pleased for a first go and with the different methods. I think next time I will use bigger boards of just grass them. I could then have strips of flagstone effect on thinner boards with tapered edges to sit on top of the grass. This would give the option of roads or paths between buildings.

Hope somebody finds this trial helpful, it was incredibly simple and I am sure with more time and skill you can create some amazing work as I've seen on other blogs and posts.

Like this for example: World of Board Craft - TerranScapes (Gaming Terrain and Scenery)

No comments:

Post a Comment